Hiram College Students, Faculty, and Staff
Now have full access to the NYTimes.com thanks to a college-wide subscription through the library.
The New York Times comes closest to being our national newspaper and the site contains breaking news articles, all articles back to 1851, blogs, videos, and interactive features. You will be able to share content, save articles, subscribe to email newsletters, and set up personalized alerts. You just need to set up your own account.
Creating an Account
Step 1: Click here to begin.
NOTE 1: You may have only one account linked to a specific email address.
NOTE 2: If you have already registered your email address on the NY Times site for a free account, click on “Already Have an Account? Log in here” link. This will register you to the Hiram College account.
Step 2: Click “Create Account”
Step 3: Complete the registration fields (it is recommended you use your Hiram email address)
Step 4: Test your login at www.nytimes.com
Access, Remote Access, and the NYTImes app for iPads
Once you have set up your account, you can access www.nytimes.com from anywhere and login with the account you set up in Creating an Account. The NY Times app for iPads is available in the Self Service folder of your iPad. To set-up your iPad app:
Step 1: Go to the Self Service folder on your iPad and download the New York Times app
Step 2: Open the app and click on “Already a subscriber? Log in”
Step 3: Log in with the account information you set up in Creating an Account above
- You must have a valid Hiram College email address to register.
- Our access does not include crossword puzzles, Times Insider, or the New York Times Crosswords apps.
- Because of certain copyright restrictions, access to archived articles published from 1923 through 1980 is limited to 5 pdf articles per day.
- International Edition: Edited in London, Hong Kong, and New York, the International New York Times provides news from a global perspective. The Chinese and Spanish editions are also available on the web.
- Search features: A single search box, with result filtering options (date ranges, document type, section, author, etc), provides easy access to articles, blogs, obituaries, media, and other content.
- Historical coverage: All articles published since 1851 are available, although there are some restrictions on the years 1923 through 1980.
- Multimedia: The New York Times contains slide slows, interactive maps, videos, and other media resources.
This separate site is designed to help bring the New York Times into the classroom by providing resources designed for education. It includes:
- Discipline-specific areas of study
- Classroom discussion prompts
- Suggested learning outcomes
- General Instructional Strategies to promote student achievement
- Co-Curricular Activities, including events, discussions, and contests
Using NYTimes.com/edu requires a separate user set up. While you can use the same username/password as your New York Times account (see above), you must use your hiram.edu email address. You may register here.
Other Newspaper Access
The library subscribes to some online print newspapers which can be read in the Library’s News Center on the main floor.
For online newspaper articles, see the Library’s Newspaper Subject Guide