Database Roster Changes
Just as Major League Baseball (MLB) rosters change this time of year, so, too, does the database roster at the Hiram College Library. These changes are due partly to funding from the Friends of the Hiram College Library, partly to OhioLINK, and partly to the Libraries Connect Ohio (OhioLINK, OPLIN, InfoOhio, and the State Library of Ohio) grant which annually changes resources around July 1. Since the start of the Fall 2018 semester, there are 21 new databases, while 6 have been discontinued. A complete list is here, but some of the highlights are:
- JSTOR Sustainability – Journals and research reports on research and policy related to environmental stresses and their impact on society.
- Small Business Reference Center – Periodicals, e-books, and videos on how to start and manage a small business. Includes start-up kits, state specific information, demographic data, and more.
- Very Short Introductions – More than 600 e-books from Oxford University Press designed to offer concise and original introductions to a subject. Usually less than 200 pages, they are written by experts for a general audience.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context – Covers current and controversial social issues from immigration to gun control to fracking. Viewpoint essays present different sides to an issue and the database adds periodical articles, statistics, video/audio, news articles, and primary sources.
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center – Instructions and ideas to meet the interests of almost every hobbyist and craft person. Includes magazines, e-books, videos, patterns, and recipes.